IT professionals are in demand in every industry, which means Now is the time to start planning your IT Career. Being an IT professional is a good path for talented and creative youths and career changers. If you have what it takes to handle the cons, why not start a career in IT today?
Why you should invest in learning tech skills
- Techies or persons involved in tech sometimes earn far better than Doctors, Teachers, Businessmen, Civil servants etc in Cameroon. An average trained government teacher earns XAF 120,000 a month which is not up to half of what a freelance software developer or graphic designer earns after building a mobile Application/Website in 2 weeks. This explains why Executive Director of ActivSpaces, Valery Colong, encourages parents, career beginners and career changers to choose and grow a skill in IT.
Technical services attract high payment in corporate, government and freelance positions. That is why a junior developer in the US earns $61,074 a year.
- The market is large. Almost every business today needs IT, be it Beauty, Law, Agriculture, or Healthcare. So, aside the huge pay package, techies often face the problem of choice. Everything in tech brings income.
- Career Growth. IT professionals have the potential to always grow their career since there are new advancements in the IT field that require skilled professional IT workers. The more skilled they become, the more useful and powerful they are. For example, Engineers at the ActivSpaces Labs are learning the Flutter Framework for additional skills in Mobile App Development.
- One other reason why you would love to invest in tech is the feeling of self-worth. Employers recognize techies at every level because they handle delicate parts of the organization. A slack in their job will affect all other areas meaning the employer can risk all to ensure their department is functional.
- It is more secure doing a tech job in Cameroon given the security issues in the North and South West regions of the country. With a laptop and internet connection in your room, you can make millions and escape being taken by a stray bullet. This is because every IT professional can work remotely and keep up with clients’ tasks
- Did you know there are over 50 visa free countries for digital Nomads?
Starting a career in IT is very easy. With the Cameroonian setting, you can be self-taught or go to one of the institutions that teach computer/software engineering. You may be confused with what to learn but that should not be a problem.
Aside the advantages, can you cope with constant complaints and requests, specialization, long hours of work, tech dependency and pressure? If yes, start your career in one of the following:
- Mobile App Development
- Social Media Marketing
- Digital Marketing
- Graphic Design
- Software Testing and
- Project Management
- Microsoft Office Professional
these skills are highly needed in the market. Why not pick one of these career paths which are very familiar to the Cameroon setting and develop your skills in?
There are examples of those who are making it big in the IT industry around us. Some of them began with tech while others changed their career to tech.
Churchill Mambe is one of them. His Njorku job search engine has gained the job searching market. Africa and the world will soon be consuming Zuo Bruno’s Zoomed car tracking system. Valery Colong is a successful technology entrepreneur with more than 10 years’ experience and co-founder of 3 technology startups.
Being one of the oldest tech incubators in Africa, ActivSpaces can advice better on what paths newbies or techies can professionalize in. ActivSpaces is as a nexus between the job seeker and the job market (Tech Companies). You can always contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org or www.fb.com/ActivSpaces/